Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors Supports Lansing School District Millage
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Posted by: Michelle Rahl
For Immediate Release Ross Woodstock
April 29, 2014 Kolt Communications, Inc
Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
Supports Lansing School District Millage
Encourages Greater Collaboration and Fiscal Responsibility
The Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors has announced its support of the Lansing School District’s Non-Homestead Millage Renewal, while requesting a continued focus on sound fiscal management and student growth. The Lansing School District has a May 6 election at which it will ask voters to renew its current operating millage of 17.962 mills.
“The Lansing Regional Chamber acknowledges the importance of a strong Lansing School District,” said Tim Daman, president and CEO of the Lansing Regional Chamber. “Education is one of the top Chamber priorities and the availability of talent is critical to our region’s continuing economic prosperity.”
In announcing its support, LRCC also outlined several action items it says it is encouraging the Lansing School District to work towards including:
- Partner with Michigan State University Extension on a board financial training program entitled Fiscal Sustainability for Local Governments in the 21st Century;
- Continued focus on efficient use and repurposing of the district’s 2.8 million square feet of building facilities and district assets;
- Achieve greater efficiencies through privatization of services, health care and retirement plan reforms;
- Convene a Financial Health Team to assist in a higher degree of fiscal responsibility;
- Identify additional opportunities to further collaborate with the City of Lansing; and
- Continue efforts to increase student achievements and graduation rates
For more information about the Lansing School District Non-Homestead Millage Renewal, please visit the Lansing School District website at www.lansingschools.net.
The mission of the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce (LRCC) is to be the preeminent business advocacy organization in the Greater Lansing region by collaborating for economic growth, creating new opportunities for our members and upholding pro-business ideals through the advancement of sound public policy. More information about LRCC and its programs and services can be found on any of its social media platforms, including www.lansingchamber.org, Facebook, Twitter (@Lansing Chamber), LinkedIn and YouTube.