Michigan Small Business Development Center Celebrates National Small Business Week
Friday, May 01, 2015
Posted by: Michelle Rahl
For Release April 29, 2015
Michigan Small Business Development Center Celebrates
National Small Business Week, May 4-8
Spotlighting 8 Lansing Small Businesses
LANSING, MICHIGAN: National Small Business Week, scheduled May 4-8, 2015, is an annual, week-long celebration designed to recognize small businesses and the contributions they make to the economy. In Lansing’s Capital Region, the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Lansing Community College is celebrating the week by spotlighting eight local small businesses. The following businesses will be recognized through a social media photo and video campaign:
· Preuss Pets is an amazing 22,000-square-foot pet shop in Old Town Lansing that provides a truly unique shopping experience, and puts a strong emphasis in educating pet owners.
Facebook: Preuss Pets Twitter: @PreussPets
· Red Fox Comics in Delta Township is the area’s premier destination for superhero fans and lovers of comic books, graphic novels, and related gear. Facebook: Red Fox Comics
· Glow Social Media began in Atlanta and recently moved to Lansing’s REO Town where they help local businesses to develop brand awareness as well as drive inbound traffic to company websites. Facebook: GLOW Social Media Twitter: @GLOWSocialMedia
· MessageMakers creates award-winning marketing and communications services for business clients around the world. Facebook: MessageMakers Twitter: @mmexperiences
· Piper & Gold Public Relations is a media savvy Lansing firm that can plan, organize, and execute a PR or media relations strategy for business, government, or non-profits.
Facebook: Piper & Gold Public Relations Twitter: @PiperGoldKate
· Mother and Earth Baby Boutique, owned by mompreneur Lynn Ross, is located in Lansing’s Old Town and features eco-friendly and all-American made baby products including bedding, diapers, toys and more. Facebook: Mother & Earth Baby Boutique Twitter: @MotherandEarth
· Tico Duckett was a football star at MSU and in the NFL before starting Duckett Brothers Distributing, a janitorial and industrial supply company serving Michigan and the Midwest.
Facebook: Duckett Brothers Distributing Twitter: @DuckettBrothers
· Craig Mitchell Smith is a renowned glass artist who creates stunning works of art using kiln formed glass, attracting collectors and art buyers worldwide.
Facebook: Craig Mitchell Smith Glass Artist Twitter: @CraigCMSGlass
The social media campaign can be followed on the following platforms:
Facebook: SBDC Lansing - Small Business Development Center at LCC
The Capital Region SBDC provides assistance to area small businesses and budding entrepreneurs through workshops, market research, and one-on-one, confidential consulting. In 2014, over 1,000 businesses received services. The eight spotlighted businesses all worked with SBDC business consultants on a variety of areas, from the steps needed to start a business, to marketing ideas, website analysis, and social media training to grow, to financial analysis to better manage the bottom line, and strategic planning for long-term growth.
“Small, local businesses are the backbone of our economy,” explained Tom Donaldson, Regional Director of the SBDC. “The eight businesses we’re spotlighting demonstrate what a positive effect our small businesses have on a community-they create jobs, offer unique services and products to specialized markets, revitalize old buildings and neighborhoods, and create destination shopping districts.“
Every year since 1963, the President of the United States has issued a proclamation announcing National Small Business Week to highlight the impact of outstanding entrepreneurs, small business owners, and others from across the nation. According to the US Small Business Administration, more than half of Americans either own or work for a small business, and they create about two out of every three new jobs in the US each year. More than that, America's small businesses represent the quintessential American Dream–that with hard work and ingenuity, anyone–no matter their background–can build a better future for themselves and their families. This year’s celebration communicates that potential with the slogan, “Dream Big. Start Small.” The national event can be followed at @SBAgov and @MCS4Biz using the hashtag #DreamSmallBiz.
About the Michigan SBDC
The Michigan Small Business Development Center provides counseling, business education, market research, and technology commercialization services to new business ventures, existing small businesses, growing businesses, and innovators. The Capital Region SBDC is located at Lansing Community College in Lansing, Michigan.
Entrepreneurs and small business owners may access the services by calling 517.483.1921 or visiting www.SBDCMichigan.org.