LAFCU donates $1,000 to Lansing Eastern High School band program
Tuesday, May 03, 2016
Posted by: Eric Dimoff
LAFCU helped Lansing Eastern High School end the year on a high note Monday. The mid-Michigan credit union donated $1,000 to the school’s band program.
Attendees of a small ceremony at the school were treated to a brief but robust concert by the ninth-12th grade band following the ceremonial check presentation. The donation is part of LAFCU’s music sponsorship of the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce’s annual dinner.
Attendees at the check presentation included:
- Patrick Spyke, LAFCU CEO
- Kelli Ellsworth Etchison, LAFCU senior vice president of marketing
- Yvonne Caamal Canul, Lansing School District superintendent
- Donna Pohl, Ed.S., Lansing Eastern High School principal
- Mauricio De Rosso, ninth-12th grade music teacher
- Tawnya Hicks-Letts, seventh-eighth grade band director and general music teacher
- Tim Daman, Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce president and CEO
Students in the seventh-eighth grade band program were also in attendance.
“We could just send the donation check, but this is a wonderful opportunity for us to express our support to the students,” said Ellsworth Etchison. “This donation is an excellent example of one of the ways LAFCU fulfills its mission of ‘people helping people.’ It’s about being part of the solution to improve the lives of those in the communities in which we serve.”
Both Caamal Canul and De Rosso appreciated the financial support and explained that the money will be put to good use immediately.
"We are ecstatic to receive this award from LAFCU," said Caamal Canul.
The band played a medley of several songs and added a rousing rendition of the school's fight song as an encore.