Nurses of the Year honored during Nurses Week
Friday, May 13, 2016
Posted by: Matt Hillier
Sixteen Sparrow Nurses were given special recognition for their quality, compassionate care and service as part of activities celebrating National Nurses Week.
Selected as Nurse of the Year in their specialty areas at were:
- Terry Ballinger, BS, RN, of Bath Township - Behavioral Health
- Mara Bray, RN, of Lansing - Emergency Services
- Marcia Chaney, BS, RN, of Mason - Perioperative Services
- Kristine Coe, MS, RN, of Okemos - Women and Children Services
- Tracy Farthing, BSN, RN, CNML, of Lansing - Management
- Tiffany Fordham, RN, of East Lansing - Medical/Surgical Services
- Tamara Hebert, RN, of Lansing - Critical Care/Stepdown Services
- Marci Johnson, BSN, CCM, of St. Johns - Professional Support
- Philip Shipley, MSN, CRNA, of Holt - Advanced Practice/Education
- Karen Suchek, RN, of St. Johns – Hospice
- Karen Townsend, BA, of Okemos - Sparrow Clinics/Practices/Affiliates
By consistently going above and beyond, our Nurses have helped Sparrow join an elite group of hospitals nationwide to receive Magnet redesignation. It is the nation’s most prestigious honor for nursing achievement and excellence and is considered the “gold standard” for nursing care in hospitals.
Sparrow Carson Hospital honored four Nurses as Nurse of the Year in their specialty areas:
- Julie Brown, RN – Intensive Care
- Karen Fricke, RN – Home Care
- Craig McAlvey, RN – Emergency Services
- Ashley Wiser, RN – Surgical Services
Sparrow Ionia Hospital recognized Mary Whitelock, RN, BSN, who provides care in Medical/Surgical Services, as its Nurse of the Year.
Choose Wisely. Choose Sparrow.