St. Vincent Catholic Charities announces 13th annual Operation Backpack
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
St. Vincent Catholic Charities (STVCC) is pleased to announce the 13th annual Operation Backpack campaign, a back-to-school backpack and school supply drive to provide children in need with the necessary materials to learn. This year, with Delta Dental as the presenting sponsor and the addition of Capital Area District Libraries, Operation Backpack hopes to provide 1,000 donated backpacks to children who would be unable to purchase new supplies. The campaign runs from July 19 – August 18, where donations will be collected by five community partners across the Greater Lansing area.
The month-long campaign is co-chaired by philanthropists Lupe Izzo & Brig Sorber. In addition to Delta Dental’s presenting sponsorship, community sponsors include WILX TV-10, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, Capital Area District Libraries, and Buffalo Wild Wings. Capitol National Bank and RE/MAX Real Estate also return as community partners.
“I’ve been involved with this campaign from the beginning,” remarked Lupe Izzo. “It’s been amazing to see this program evolve over the years, especially as we continue to focus on the importance and need of individual students. But what really means the most is how joyful the kids are when they unzip the backpacks and smile as they start looking through their new supplies.”
Backpacks and supplies can be donated at the following locations:
- St. Vincent Catholic Charities: 2800 Willow St., Lansing, MI
- WILX-TV Channel 10: 500 American Rd., Lansing, MI 48912
- TWO MEN AND A TRUCK: 1200 Keystone Ave., Lansing, MI 48911
- TWO MEN AND A TRUCK: 3400 Belle Chase Way., Lansing, MI 48911
- Capital Area District Libraries: Downtown Lansing: 401 South Capitol Ave., Lansing, MI 48933
- Capital Area District Libraries: Okemos: 4321 Okemos Rd., Okemos, MI 48864
- Capitol National Bank Lansing: 200 N. Washington Square, Lansing, MI
- Capitol National Bank Okemos: 4792 Marsh Rd, Okemos, MI 48864
- RE/MAX Real Estate (E. Lansing): 300 W Lake Lansing Rd, East Lansing, MI 48823
- RE/MAX Real Estate (Lansing): 6607 E St Joe Hwy #150, Lansing Charter Township, MI
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, under Executive Chairman Brig Sorber, will be donating boxes to collect backpacks and school supplies at each location. Operation Backpack is one of several programs Brig supports in Greater Lansing including serving on the Board of Directors for STVCC and Volunteers of America. Additionally, Capital Area District Libraries are donating library cards to be placed in each backpack.
“Operation Backpack is one of our most popular community collection campaigns,” shared STVCC CEO Andrea Seyka. “It not only helps our local families and parents, but it shows our children that they live in a community that cares about their education.”
For a full list of school supplies, visit www.stvcc.org/operation-backpack.