State Budget Update
The Lansing Regional Chamber’s policy team has been closely involved with the fiscal year 2020 budget process. Our main goal has been to provide a voice for our region on key policy priorities to ensure our region has the tools needed to continue to connect, grow and thrive!
The state legislature passed a $59.9 billion budget which later resulted in close to $1 billion in line item vetoes from Gov. Whitmer. Many of these vetoes impact statewide programs with potential impacts to businesses, education and residents in the Greater Lansing region.
The vetoes that will affect our region are as follows:
· $375 million for roads and infrastructure funding
· $128.6 million for school aid
· $37.3 million for Going PRO Talent Fund
· $4.7 million for agriculture and rural developments
· $3.7 million MiDocs Graduate Medical Education program
· $37.5 million for Pure Michigan Tourism campaign
· $150 million for Medicaid reimbursements and other payments to hospitals
· $15 million for the State Capitol Heritage Hall Center
We will remain engaged with the Capitol Caucus in providing a rational voice to address our regional policy priorities including economic development, roads and infrastructure and workforce development/education.
If you have additional questions on the state budget, please contact Public Affairs VP Steve Japinga at sjapinga@Lansingchamber.org or Communications, Policy and Talent Manager Amanda Fischer at email@example.com.